Thursday, October 15, 2009

My World Cup Dream...



Ever since I was a little girl I've loved soccer. I remember the first World Cup games I watched in 1994. I was in eighth grade and it made me want to go for a run and get into shape so I could try out for the high school soccer team. Unfortunately though, that enthusiasm faded and I never tried out for high school soccer. 

I haven't kept up on my soccer as much in recent years, but when I heard the World Cup in 2010 is going to be in South Africa - somewhere I really to go - I started making plans. But, my husband and my mom were not as excited as I was about going to South Africa. So, after some comprises and a promise that for my 30th birthday we will go to Paris, I have now accepted that my World Cup experience will occur in front of the T.V. instead.


Last month, I was watching the news when I heard that the last World Cup qualifier game for the USA team was going to be at RFK Stadium in Washington, DC. I immediately told my husband that I had to go. I was so excited about it that my wonderful husband bought me tickets the next day. 

So, on a cold and dreary October evening I got a little piece of my World Cup dream.  The energy and excitement was amazing. In a city where political affiliations can determine your friendships, last night, everyone, except for the Costa Rica fans, was a part of Team U.S.A.   

After a hard fought first half, Team U.S.A was down 2-0. But, late in the second half, Team U.S.A was reenergized by scoring one goal around the 71st minute and in the final moments of the game the U.S team scored again, tying the score at 2-2.  

Although this has been a hard week for Team U.S.A, with the absence of teammate Charlie Davies after he was involved in a very serious car accident early Tuesday morning in D.C. They played a great game and I am so grateful that I got to be a part of the excitement. I look forward to watching Team U.S.A win in South Africa next Summer. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails