Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Food, Friends and Family...


Last weekend, my husband and I traveled to Missouri to see our families, and throw an anniversary party for my parents. We spent most of the weekend cooking and eating, but it was a wonderful time and a great fall weekend.  


When we landed the temperature was a brisk 46 degrees, a stark contrast to the 80 degrees it was suppose to be in Northern VA that day. Our first stop in Missouri was lunch at Sonic, my favorite fast-food place. The closest one to us in VA is 45 minutes away and it's definitely something I miss from home.
After lunch, we spent the next hour helping my brother with his chemistry homework. I didn't so much as help as watch TV while my husband and my brother discussed chemistry equations and formulas.


For the anniversary party, I decided on a Fall theme. The weather in Missouri has been fall-like for several weeks now so it was perfect. I put together a menu full of fall dishes like butternut squash soup, harvest vegetables, honey glazed carrots, creamy spinach, baked mac-n-cheese and steaks, pork loin and hamburgers.


The best part, though, was the cake we had for dessert. About a month ago, I asked my brother to find a picture of my parents and their wedding cake. I thought it would be fun to have a replica made for the party. My brother found the perfect picture and I contacted Sonja of Celebrations by Sonja. She did the cake for my wedding and my family and I have been looking for an excuse to get another one. The cake was vanilla with a strawberry cream filling like my wedding cake. It was a beautiful cake and it tasted even better than I remembered.

The party was a great success. It was an evening full of laughing, looking at old pictures and catching up. Our families had a great time and I know my parents were so excited to see everyone. We look forward to seeing everyone at the next party.



Cake by Celebrations by Sonja













No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails